So, we’ve been chipping away at compiling the cleanest, easiest-to-follow list of grocery store staples that you can sub in when you #canthecan. Without further ado…
1. Almonds are a great source of protein and healthy fats – when raw and unsalted, these little nuts help balance your blood sugar levels, keeping you running on a slow burn for longer. Studies show that about a handful of almonds a day can decrease your risk of cardiovascular disease – score!
2. The humble banana is packed with potassium and B vitamins – these two work together to slow down digestion and stabilise blood sugar levels, leaving you feeling fuller (and more energetic!) for longer.
3. The high levels of essential omega-3 fatty acids in salmon are great for heart and brain health, maintaining circulation and energy production – it’s the ultimate multitasker!
4. Eggs are a fab source of energy, as they contain iron, protein and choline – a specific B-vitamin that aids brain function and energy production. Smash a few over a frying pan in the morning, and you’ll be set all day.
5. Everyone’s gone cray for kale, and for good reason! The superleaf is packed with calcium, vitamins and minerals, and is an easily digestible source of energy. Whether you stir it through pasta, add it to your omelette or just eat it raw, kale deserves a place in your trolley. Don’t even argue.
6. Like science? Coconuts contain oils rich in medium train triglycerides – a type of fat that the body can turn into energy super quick – meaning that you kick that sluggish feeling right in the butt. Can’t be bothered toting around an axe and a sack of coconuts? Natural coconut water will do the trick.
7. Mother-flippin’ bran flakes. Never underestimate the power of a bland-looking cereal – there’s fibre, magnesium, iron and energy-producing B-vitamins, all of which help stabilise your blood sugar levels before you even figure out where your work pants are. But who needs work pants when you have bran?
8. Dark chocolate (that’s chocolate with a cocoa percentage of 70% or more) is a surprising source of iron and magnesium – treat yourself to a few squares in the afternoon to keep yourself chugging along til quittin’ time.
9. Citrus fruits – limes, lemons, oranges, grapefruits – are packed with vitamin C, a primo player for boosting the immune system. Lifehack: people who are prone to sickness tend to have less energy, so fill two needs at once with a daily citrus fix. Juice if you must, but nutrients in these bad boys are best absorbed through eating.
10. If you’ve got a bit of time to play in the kitchen (or know the address of a home-style Indian restaurant), curries can be a great source of energy with the help of a few magic ingredients. Spices like cumin, turmeric and cinnamon boost energy levels through antioxidants, stimulate internal circulation and stabilise blood sugar levels – swap in a curry dish on your next lunch break or dinner date for an exotic energy boost.
For more energy-boosting bites, check out the original article at HuffPost Living
Got a secret snack recipe that keeps you full and energetic throughout the day? Share in the comments below!